2021 Creative Writing Competition for Children aged 4 – 12
Presented by the PMI Victorian History Library in partnership with the Victorian Government.
We understand that celebrating Children’s Week was a little difficult in 2020 and so we are re-opening our free online Creative Writing Competition for Children on the 1st February 2021!
We believe that sharing stories with friends, family and role models can help us to feel safe, and, also help people into the future remember the important and interesting things that happened to us. So, we are asking for children over the summer, or when school returns, to:
Type up a story told to you by a grandparent, parent, carer, aunty, uncle or elder, about their friends when they were your age. What kind of adventures did they get up to? How were things different then? What made their friendships special?
- The competition will re-open Monday 1st February 2021.
- The competition will close Thursday 1st April 2021 at 4pm.
- In light of coronavirus (COVID-19) this competition is online and to take part entries must be emailed to email@example.com
- Entry is free but each entry is limited to 1 page.
- A $100 prize for 1 winner in each age group is available: 4-6, 7-9, 10-12.
- All entries will be published in a book to be held in the PMI’s library collection.
- The PMI will announce the winners on Friday 30th April 2021.
If you would like to speak to someone for further information about the PMI and our activities, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call the PMI Victorian History Library
Tue, Wed or Thur 10am – 4pm on 03 9510 3393.
Judges will be author and writing educator Rafael Ward and performing artist and Library officer Riannon Berkeley. Our judges will pick the story that: Best captures an interesting historic experience; Has a good grasp of ideas and language appropriate to the child’s age; Is engaging and tells a narrative story.
We’d love to make this available to as many children across Australia as possible so please share with your networks and any children in your educational, work, social or family circles who might be interested.
Terms and Conditions for Creative Writing Competition
Here at the PMI we are very interested in collecting historical stories – things that people remember happening in the past – we focus on collecting stories about people, places and things in Victoria, Australia and have done so since 1854…That’s 166 years! We want to be able to read your story and know that you wrote it (your adult can help with your spelling and with your typing, but the words should be your own). Then the PMI can publish all of the entries in a book for our library that people can borrow and read.
- Competition opens on Monday 1st February 2021 and all entries must be received via email by 4.00pm on Thursday 1st April 2021 at 4pm. Winners will be contacted and delivery of their prizes organised on Friday 30th April 2021.
- The work must be written by the child and not be significantly re-written or altered by an adult.
- The author’s name should not appear on the story.
- The title of the story and the age of the child should be on the top of the story above the heading.
- All submissions must be a Microsoft Word Document or Apple Pages Document, no more than one typed page in length, in size 12, Times New Roman font.
- All submissions should be emailed to email@example.com with the heading Children’s Writing Competition. In the body of the email should be: The author’s name; the title of the story and a contact phone number.
- No postal entries will be accepted.
- The judges’ decisions will be final and no correspondence will be entered into. All entries remain the intellectual property of the authors.
- By submitting your story, you agree for your work to be published, whole or in part, in: A book to be included in the PMI’s Library Collection with your first name and age. (For the protection of the children involved we will not post such content on the internet.)